Sunday, April 3, 2011

Starbucks Cupcake

This is a peanut butter and chocolate chip mini cupcake I got this morning from Starbucks. I just had to see if the rumors were true that Sbux was in fact serving cupcakes {and cake pops too, which I'm surprised Starbucks can call them such because I thought "cake pops" might actually be copyrighted to Bakerella}. Our nearby Starbucks offered either this delectable mini cupcake or a carrot cake mini cupcake.

Surprisingly, this one I had wasn't too bad. At first I was a little jilted by how orange-y/yellow-y the peanut butter frosting looked. I think the word that first flashed into my head was "fake"! What also pushed me to cry foul was that the icing was somewhat overwhelming in its peanut butter taste, much like when you suck on a piece of hard candy that's strawberry or watermelon flavored; you just know that's not what a real strawberry or watermelon tastes like.

Since nutrition is one of my biggest passions {and perhaps one of my biggest downfalls since I think it brings out a Debbie Downer side of me when I get fired up talking about ingredients and human pathophysiology around my family, friends, and meat-and-grease-lovin' husband}, I had to check out the Starbucks website to see if my suspicions of fakeness were in fact true. Since the first ingredient listed is in fact peanut butter, I had to swallow my pride and admit that I was wrong. This was totally okay with me because it was still a pretty tasty treat.

I now vow to try and create my own peanut butter frosting and chocolate cupcake concoction in the near future! I hope you'll check back soon for that. In the meantime, you can also enjoy a carrot cake mini cupcake, red velvet cupcake, and/or vanilla bean cupcake. How do they measure up to other cupcakes you've had?

2 comments:

  1. You silly goose! All of Starbucks food has 0 trans fat, 0 artificial flavors, 0 artificial colors, and 0 high fructose corn syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, CaribouHunter! Great to know, definitely restores my faith in Starbucks a bit :)

    ReplyDelete